Published April 23, 2009
Design , Good news , Life , Web Design
Tags: Army, Army Live, Army.mil, Blog, Blogging, Facebook, Family, Fan page, Flickr, Podcast, Soldier, United States Army
This past week, the United States Army launched their official blog and Facebook fan page. I found several interesting points from an article on Army.mil titled, “Army launches official blog, facebook page:”
“The blogosphere is a place where a lot of different people are at,” Lindy Kyzer said. “We know our active-duty Soldiers are there. We know that our family members are there. We know that there’s people simply there who choose to get their information from blogs.”
The Army Facebook site is also looking for comments and discussion. One page asks readers “Why did you join the Army?” A bit lower is a banner for the Year of the NCO and readers are asked “Who is your favorite NCO?”
The Facebook page features Army podcasts. It has dozens of Army photos from Flickr. It has links to Army Web micro-sites, and it has a page of information about the new Army Live blog site.
If you’re interested in becoming a fan on facebook or adding the Army to your blogroll, check out these links:
Facebook fan page:
Army Live blog:
Published December 2, 2008
Life , Random , Work
Tags: American Express, Blogging, Creativity, Dream job, Fish tank, OPEN Forum, Shoes, The Sole of a New Machine, Work, Zappos
Many of us have heard of cool and fun places to work at, such as Google. I came across another great place courtesy of @meghankathleen on Twitter. Check out these awesome pics of Zappos shoes office headquarters:
Visitor name badge sticker ball
Employee break room
Computer fish tank
The last one is my favorite. I’d love to recreate this…
See the full blog post: The Sole of a New Machine by Guy Kawasaki on OPEN Forum’s blog.
Published November 21, 2008
Friends , Life , Random , Web Design , Work
Tags: Australia, Blogging, Jacob Cass, Just Creative Design, justcreativedesign.com, SEO, Twitter
As an avid Twitter follower, (@kristinandrews) I often come across great tweets by others. I follow a lot of designers so that I can build a network of design professionals like me. It’s a great resource for inspiration and to keep up on the latest in the web design industry.
Aussie creative guru Jacob Cass wrote a great blog post on “giving your blog the edge.” He provides 7 helpful hints on how to up your blog’s presence on the web. I like to call this the ABC’s of blogging. Here’s a condensed version of “7 Secrets You MUST Know to Give Your Blog The Edge”:
- Formatting Text. Kind of like what I’m doing with breaking up the paragraphs and listing items in number format for readability.
- Recap in first 2 sentences. Your reader wants to know what the post is about right away.
- Use Images. Pictures speak a thousand words. People, including myself, like visualizing what the reader is saying.
- Devote time. I’m guilty of not following this one like I should. Craft your blog post with resources for the reader.
- Interactivity. Present the reader with events, competitions, and other things he or she can partake in.
- Network. Get connected with others like you and have a link to one another.
- Commenting. Respond to people who have taken the time to spill their thoughts.